The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them.
– Ralph G. Nichols
How do you create an environment where students enjoy learning because it feels purposeful and valuable to them?
How Many of Your Students Are Really Being Heard?
- Reflect and write down your thoughts on how you are engaging your students to share their experiences and what they need from schools.
- What groups of students at your school need to be listened to more?
- Generate 3 ideas about how you as a leader can engage these groups in the next 3 months.
Student Ownership of Learning
- Read this summary — based on Inflexion’s research on how to foster learners with autonomy, drive, and endurance.
- Focus specifically on Page 3 where you will see examples of the instructional routines and school rituals that support ownership of learning, sense of belonging, and social-emotional skills.
- Write down 3 things you can do at your school to transform the student experience schoolwide.
- These will be useful notes to keep as you work with your leadership team on making a plan.
- Reflect on how these can be connected to your site’s Student Outcomes as well as the ideas you generated about your students being heard.